Today on Food Friday Red’s thought, “lets share our Margherita Flatbread Pizza with a twist (Grilled with Pesto)”. Summer parties are right around the corner and this is the perfect pizza to whip up because it is quick, easy and has little ingredients (if you don’t want to make your own dough). Enjoy!
- 4 C bread flour, extra for rolling (Chef’s Note: Using bread flour will give you a much crisper crust. If you can’t find bread flour, you can substitute it with all-purpose flour which will give you a chewier crust.)
- 1 TSP sugar
- 1 envelope instant dry yeast
- 2 TSP salt
- 1 1/2 C water, temperatured at 110 degrees F
- 2 TBS olive oil, plus 2 teaspoons
- Combine the bread flour, sugar, yeast and salt in the bowl of a mixer and turn to low/medium. While the mixer is running, add the water and 2 TBS of the oil and beat until the dough forms into a ball. If the dough is sticky, add additional flour, 1 TBS at a time, until the dough comes together in a solid ball. If the dough is too dry, add additional water, 1 TBS at a time.
- Scrape the dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead into a firm ball.
- Grease a large bowl with the remaining 2 TSP olive oil, add the dough, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and put it in a warm area to let it double in size, about an hour. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and divide it into 2 equal pieces. Cover each with a clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap and let them rest for 10 minutes.
Prep: 15 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 25 mins
- 8 Ounces Mozzarella
- 1-2 Diced Tomatoes
- 4 TBS Pesto Sauce
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper for taste
- Slice the mozzarella into slices. Dice the tomatoes into cubes. Roll out the pizza dough to about 16 inches.
- Preheat a clean grill to 350 degrees. Carefully rub the grates with olive oil and place the dough onto the grill. Brush the up side up lightly with olive oil.
- After about 5 minutes, flip and place the pesto, tomatoes, and mozzarella. Grill, covered, for about another 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted. Turn off burners as needed keeping the grill cover closed.
- Once the cheese has melted, Take the pizza off the grill, cool, and slice.
Thanks for reading!